Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Leo, the Russian Tortoise

When I got Leo last November, he was mostly a pet rock. He couldn't/wouldn't open his eyes or eat or drink or move or anything. I didn't know if he would even make it.



After about a month, Leo started eating and drinking on his own. He's now doing really well-- but he's discovered his feistiness! Oh, he's spunky! He kicks and huffs when I pick him up, He tries to buck himself forward and out of my hand. I had him on the floor in the sunshine on Saturday and he started ramming my dog Teddy who was smelling him.

Oh boy! It's great to see him alert & active, but he's definitely in a new category of Pet. I had originally hoped he could return to his first rescuer, but NOPE. He's a brat! He's cute! But a brat!

On Saturday, he started ramming Otis, my big red foot, because Otis was trying to share the sunshine space with him. It didn't take very long before Otis grew weary of Leo's attitude and crawled right over him to get to a better place in the sun.

Tortoise Turf Wars. Now at my house! ;)


And I promise no tortoises or dogs were harmed in the making of this post. After Otis crawled over Leo, they both kept their distance from each other.