Monday, February 6, 2017

Fatty Lucy (the snake)- Before & After

We adopted Lucy from my rescue sister Marybeth in December 2014. She had been found literally starving to death after being abandoned in a box with three other snakes. The rescue they were dumped at figured Lucy would be the first to die and they gave her away. Luckily she ended up with Marybeth who kept her alive.

When we got her, she was barely 2 pounds and ate like a horse. I loved having a ball python who ate 100% of the time. She had a lot of muscle damage in her back end from starving.



Tonight, Lucy came out so I could change the paper towels in her tank. She went off food for at least 6 months last year and is barely starting to be consistent with eating her rats. I figured I might as well weigh her since she was out.


SIX POUNDS!! 

This girl is a chunk!!

While I'm blogging, she's exploring my incredibly messy desk that will be (maybe) cleaned off tomorrow. She's not overly worried about the mess; she is liking the heat from all the electronics.


Lucy will always be my baby girl snake. We have no idea how old she is, but she's my baby girl. She's a true survivor and a sweetheart.

P.S. My vet says it's pretty common for snakes in dry climates (like Utah) to have little wrinkles on their eye caps. There's not much to do about it. She's hydrated (I watched her drinking yesterday) and healthy, but wrinkly since she's a Utahn. :)