Friday, February 10, 2017

Blocking Otis

Otis, my 4 year old cherry head tortoise, is very anxious for Spring. He is very anxious to go outside and frolic (or whatever tortoises do outside in a yard full of grass). He gets bored being stuck in the house and, sometimes, he decides to mount my leopard tortoise, Georgie. Georgie is *not* into to be mounted or mated or looked at or nibbled on or touched or talked to or moved or pet. She is a very solitary tortoise that we let out so she can bask under the mercury vapor bulb in our kitchen for a change of pace. She too is very excited to go back outside for the summer. This summer will be the first time that she is big enough to free roam the yard and not be stuck in the "Babies Box." She's very excited. Until then, she has to avoid Otis and his occasional desire to mate.

While I worked on my computer, I kept an eye on Otis & Georgie who were basking together by my feet. It went really well for awhile, but then Otis felt amorous. Oy vay! So I blocked him with my foot.


At first, he attempted to eat my foot because it looked tasty somehow. No, Otis! No biting!




When I moved my foot so it wasn't in his mouth, he tried to sneak under my leg. 


That was it for Otis and he was relocated to the living room where he could wander around at will.

We are definitely all dreaming of Spring here.