Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Tale of Two Babies

A couple weeks ago, I took in Baby Raptor because he was losing weight and not eating on his own. I've been force feeding him almost everyday since then. Luckily, he learned to drink on his own and some days I can get him to eat a worm or two. Plus, most days, he loves to eat bits of greens. He was the first time pet of a cute family near me and was way more sickly than they could handle. 


A few days after taking Raptor, I took their second baby beardie, Delta, in because he had stopped eating and drinking too. Both babies came from the same pet store, both are definitely "Failing to Thrive." Delta will drink on his own, but has refused to eat bugs or greens for a week now.


Raptor has been with me for 3 weeks and is still stuck at 5 grams. He is THREE months old and weighs 5 grams! Delta weighs 11 grams and isn't putting on weight either. They get Carnivore Critical Care mixed with a vitamin supplement almost daily and they are not gaining weight. They poop normally and run as fast as they can away from me, but they are not gaining weight.

Poor Raptor sits in his tank like this almost all day. Eyes closed, head up. Thankfully, Delta is a little bit more active.


It's a waiting game. You keep doing what you are doing and wait for them to turn a corner and go up or down. They are either going to start thriving and growing or they will sicken and die. :( It's a crappy waiting game-- especially when you have a cute family waiting for their babies to come back home. Thankfully, 4 years of rescue has perfected my art of force feeding babies-- the right amount of mix put into a 1 cc/mL syringe with the tip of a Tom Cat catheter on the top to make a small enough tube to put in a tiny mouth.

I'm seeing and reading about a LOT of babies being sent to the national chain pet stores here in America that have this same problem-- Failure to Thrive. It must be a genetic component or something. My guess is sloppy husbandry and sloppy breeding practices are creating inferior, genetically messed up babies. :( Poor things.

For now I will keep on keeping on as I help these two. I'm still force feeding Kiwi, the chameleon, and there's not much difference between force feeding two or three or four.


On a brighter note, this fatty girl, Gen, who tipped the scales last week at 758 grams, was a "Failure to Thrive" baby who was force fed twice a day for THREE months! She was 15 grams forever! She finally got over it. :) There is hope for Delta & Raptor, but it's a long & hard process.