Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Kids & Pets or "Trust but Verify"

When we picked up Noel, the dad (who refused to even pick him up) said it was his kids' lizard. As if somehow that relieved him of the burden of his care. (eye roll) That has gotten me thinking about what it means to let your kids have pets. The best way I can explain my belief to you is to show you how I handle my 13 year old son's 1 year old ball python, Bones.

Bones' tank is in my son's room. It's his job to keep the tank clean and keep the water dish filled. Thankfully, he does a great job. But, as a mom, I still check. It totally helps too that you *smell* when the tank needs cleaned. :)


We are trying a new feeding plan this year and I'm willing to let my son have more responsibility for feeding Bones. I created this calendar for him. It is taped on the wall above Bones' tank.



I'm going to trust him to remember to feed Bones. BUT, that will not be the end of it. On my main calendar downstairs (where I record the entire life of my family), I added the feeding dates to the calendar with a red B.



I will also keep adding each feed to my snake feeding schedule that's by my calendar:


I want him to have more opportunities to be responsible for his pet, but I'm not going to shrug it off and let him be 100% responsible. I've seen too many reptiles starved because the parents stopped getting involved.

If Bones consistently goes without feeding, the consequence will be the removal of her tank from his room and he will have to work to earn the privilege of caring for her back.

NOTE: 4 years of rescuing have taught me one thing: if BOTH parents are not on board and both willing to care for a new pet, you should NOT get a new pet. Especially when it comes to the moms! If the mom isn't willing to help, then don't get a pet. No amount of kid or partner promises can make up for the fact that the main home care provider is not willing to help. A pet is a family deal and the entire family must be onboard. If not, it's only a matter of time before the pet gets bounced.