Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Gen at the Vet

I took Gen, my only female beardie, in today to make sure she was healthy and didn't have any eggs. She was mellow the whole time from the ride there to the exam to driving home. She just sat in her box and watched everything.


I've been regulating Gen's diet since last September to help her lose weight. Apparently, it didn't work because she has put on 100 grams since then! Whoops! She was 652 grams on 9/28/16; she was 758 grams today. The vet asked "How's her activity level?" Um, she's a slug. "How's her appetite?" She goes crazy when she sees food.

Time to break out the beardie treadmill and play "Eye of the Tiger" for her on my iPod! ;)


Gen is a BIG girl. Which is hard to believe because her rescuer (a good friend of mine) force fed her as a baby for the first 3 months of her life. It took a lot of convincing & stress & coaxing to get Gen to live. The vet was surprised to hear that since she obviously is very healthy now.





You can see how long Gen is so she's not morbidly obese or anything. She's just a big girl! And there are no eggs! Dr Folland thought at first he felt an egg, but it was merely a fat pad that was floating in her belly. She has quite a few fat pads. :)

One of the reasons I had Gen checked today is that I have someone coming to meet her tonight. With her being my only female, I am very protective of her at my house. Her presence makes all my male beardies go CRAZY! And the presence of hormonal males will make her more likely to lay eggs. So I don't let her out much. If she is the only beardie and gets a ton of attention, I think she'll slim down some and be more happy. My house is good, but I'm not so arrogant that I think my house is the ONLY good one. Gen is a great beardie and I adore her, but I realize she's one of 10 here (3 of which require daily force feedings) and there's not a lot of time & attention for her.


Gorgeous, huh? Not too bad for a "Failure to Thrive" beardie who has asymptomatic adenovirus too.