Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Lady Squinty Dink, rescue 168

The last 24 hours may set a record for intakes-- two leopard geckos, a partially paralyzed baby beardie, and tonight a Blue Tongue Skink.

Introducing Lady Squinty Dink the Dainty Skink, the Duchess of bluTonguesville!




Lady Squinty is a juvenile blue tongue skink. My first! I've always wanted to rescue one of these. I was super worried about this one though. Her eyes were sealed shut, all of her toes are missing, and the end of her tail looks like it's dead. I was most worried about her being blind.

One pic showed a large clump of dead skin and dried blood on her left eye.



The other eye didn't really even show up on the pics!



When Lady Squinty Dink arrived, the dead clump of skin seemed to be falling off. I grabbed my bottle of saline solution and squirted it all over her eyes. The one clump came off after some soaking and with a little help from a Q-tip. All of the sudden she had an eye!! Woo hoo!




Her second eye opened a little bit once I soaked it with saline and then cleaned it with a Q-tip.


Lady Squinty Dink is in a basic tank set up for now--


Tomorrow I'm taking Noel and Baby Sawyer to the vet for checkups and Dr Folland said to "Sure, bring the blue tongue along." So we'll all go. I'll have Dr Folland check out Lady Squinty Dink's eyes and tails and limbs. We'll see what he says.


For more information on blue tongue skinks, click HERE.