Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Blankie Training Neville, step one

Tonight was a good night for me to work with Neville and his grumpiness. Time to introduce him to the joys of being wrapped in a blankie!

 He was unsure of it at first, but he also didn't fight it.


Close up, he looks like he's wearing Cherry Chapstick! I love it!


I held him in his blankie while I ate an ice cream cone and then I sat down in the rocking chair and watched a cool program on PBS about Himalayan burial grounds. Neville only freaked out once when I tried to cover his head. Nope! He hated that.

I stroked his head a little bit and rocked in the rocking chair. He looked around and stayed very calm and mellow.


I held him for over an hour and wouldn't quit until I saw this:



Success!!! He was comfortable enough to fall asleep on me. I let him rest for a few minutes and then I put him back in his tank.

We'll try again tomorrow.

Earlier today, I thought back to a few of my first "Aggressive" bearded dragon rescues. They did sorta terrify me. I used to give my grumpy ones to my friend Kristin. My definition of "Aggressive" is SOOOOO different now thanks to multiple iguanas, a couple monitors, and two starving 10 foot long Burmese. Even being bitten doesn't worry me as much (not that I like it) since I've been bitten a half dozen times by mean iguanas, a Savannah monitor, and a Burmese python. It's all about perspective.

Plus, I think beardies become used to reacting a certain way and having people respond back in a certain way. If they flare up and thrash, they are used to the reaction of withdrawing. Neville did that earlier and I just laughed at him and kept holding him. I expect he'll still try to be a brat with me, but he's going to learn very quickly that I don't back off. Ha! He will like that blankie! ;)