Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Kiwi and Noel at the Vet

On Monday, I took Noel and Kiwi back to the vet for checkups.

Kiwi still has soft bones from the MBD but is making progress. She has put on some weight (thankfully since I'm still tube feeding her everyday). Dr Folland gave her another shot of calcium and another shot of Calcitonin (a steroid that helps pull calcium back into bones). He thinks she'll be good in the long run. Her back legs are still very rubbery and she has little to no control over them. That should change as they become firmer and she gains strength.

Eventually, Kiwi will be shipped to my friend in California who adopted Newt and Akime & Lotus and Hazel and my baby tortoises. It's a chameleon rescue that I absolutely adore! Kiwi will be given a specially made "handicapped" play stand that she can be on indoors and outdoors. California sunshine is a great cure for MBD.

She will go back for another check up in a month or so to see how she's doing. It will be March or April before it's warm enough to ship her. That gives me lots of time to get her strong again.


Noel was 62 grams when I rescued him right before Christmas. On Monday, he was 95 grams. He is doing SO much better. They took an x-ray to see what is in his belly and didn't find any hard substrate. For some reason, he has a soft tissue mass in his belly. But we are going to leave it alone for now and watch it.

Noel is finally starting to shed and has the most beautiful yellow coloring starting to show through. His beard is streaked with yellow instead of that crap brown staining. I'm so excited for his body to fully shed so I can see how beautiful he is.

This little guy has so much spunk and personality! He LOVES food, but hates when roach legs touch his mouth (he spits them out). He loves to be held but he can't hold still. He likes to stand up on his two back legs to try to catch food (I keep trying to take a pic, but he doesn't hold still for me). He's spunky and attacks the syringe when I feed him Critical Care (for extra calories). He LOVES that syringe! It's funny to watch.