Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Treating Shell Rot

Here's Stinky Winky, the red ear slider turtle I didn't want, and the steps for treating his shell rot.

First, he gets a half hour bath in 88 degree water. This is when he can eat and drink and poop. He gets floating pellets and some small pieces of greens too. 


Second, I dry him off really good- especially his shell rot holes. 


Third, I use a Q-tip and swab his shell rot out with a Chlorohexedine rinse. You can buy Chlorohexedine at farm supply stores  and online. It's a great antibacterial cleaner and I use it a lot. 

I put drips of cleaner in the holes and then let them set for a few minutes. Then I use the Q-tip to scrub them out so the Chlorohexedine gets into all the cracks and crevices. 


Fourth, I take a dry Q-tip and dry out all the cleaner. 


Fifth, I fill each hole with a thin layer of 
Silvadene cream which is an antibacterial cream I get from my vet. It's great stuff! 

Sixth, Stinky Winky goes back in his sick box. Until he gets over the shell rot, his water time is limited to once a day.