Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Skye's Tag-Along Visit

Skye is one of my newer beardies and, quite possibly, is the fattest beardie I have ever seen. When I felt her belly, it appeared that she had eggs inside, but I wasn't sure. Since I was going to the vet anyways, I figured she could go along.


Dr Folland couldn't tell exactly either and so he did a quick ultrasound on her. Yep. Eggs-- technically, they are ovum because they are undeveloped eggs. And they are "stuck" way up high in her belly. 

Skye will go in on Monday to have the eggs surgically removed and to be spayed. Since we know she produces ovum and we know she doesn't lay them, the chances are high she will do this again and again. 

Fat Lucy had the same surgery in July. Dr Folland removed over 30 egg follicles from her belly, some of which were infected. 

See? They never fully developed and could never pass out of her body. 


Miss Skye will feel MUCH better and be less fatty once those ovum are gone. It will be a fairly quick recovery too.