Thursday, February 11, 2016

Extreme Home Makeover: Tortoise Edition

My rescue buddy Joe had to have back surgery last fall, but it didn't work and he'll be having it redone this month. To help him out, I took 5 of his tortoises since he can't bend over and pick them up. They'll be staying with me for the next 6 months or so.

Two of them, Lil Foot & Otis, are mine part of the year (Joe & I share custody of them! ;) ). So these two I just took back early (Feb instead of May). 

Here's the bigger Lil Foot. He's about 5 pounds. 


Here's Otis. He's about 4 pounds. 


I also have Tuga, Pancake, and Derp, all 3 sulcatas. 

Tuga is about 8 pounds. 


Derp (in front) & Pancake (hidden). They are both less than a pound. 


Add these to my torts-- Heidi, Georgie, Lil Foot, & Rafe. My friend is fostering my two babies T-bear & Half Pint. And my two turtles-- Stinky Winky & Pudge. 

My front room is my tortoise & turtle room. 


The 3 bigger ones can free roam and have a mercury vapor bulb to bask under. 


I need to create a warm hide for them at night. Last night I stuck the bigger Lil Foot & Otis in a box with a blanket. 


I bought a bunch of veggies today and I'll figure out the warm sleeping set up tonight. Now I gotta figure out how to refer to the bigger Lil Foot and the smaller Lil Foot (both red foot tortoises).