Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Darth, rescue 122

This morning's rescue was both quick and horrible. It seemed simple enough-- a 3 month old beardie who isn't eating or gaining weight.

The first picture I received didn't seem too bad: 


A second picture and more of a case history made me hesitate. Maybe this baby had gout. If he did, he'd be the youngest beardie I've ever seen with gout caused by kidney failure. 

This morning I picked up Darth. In one look, I knew that it was gout and that he needed to be put down immediately. 

:( 

Darth had lost all movement in his fingers & toes as well as his wrists & ankles. 



I gently attempted to get his legs and arms to move at the shoulders/hips. Nothing. 

Poor baby. Gout is agony. Uric acid crystals are not processed by the sickly kidneys and begin to collect in the joints. Every movement or touch pushes against the crystals that feel like tiny knives. 

In such a young beardie, there's no real treatment. Gout is a symptom of kidneys that are genetically flawed. Frodo, last month's rescue, had the same issue. Poor breeding practices are causing many genetically messed up beardies to be sold at pet stores. 


I left Darth with my vet to be put down and then had to call his family to explain what I had chosen and why. It was a hard phone call to make. I made sure to emphasize that it was not there fault and no it was NOT calcium deficiency like a vet had told them two weeks before. 

I'm seeing a significant increase in baby beardies sold at pet stores that have significant problems-- failure to thrive, kidney failure, and yellow fungus. More than ever, you need to be careful when choosing a pet from a pet store. There's no way to tell if a baby has genetic abnormalities though. The best you can do is try to find a reputable breeder who take care of their pets. 

Poor baby, Darth. Rest in peace now that you are free from pain.