Thursday, February 25, 2016

An Agonizing Choice

I was asked to rescue a severely neglected beardie this week. He had been starved and ignored for over two months. The oddest part was when I was asked to pick him up from a vet's office. 

Side note-- I, of course, always recommend my vet's clinic, Parrish Creek Vets. My second favorite vet office is Wasatch Exotics. 

That is the vet where I went to pick up this sick beardie yesterday. 

Oh, he was in such bad shape. And blind. He had little chance of survival. 

I opted to leave him. I agreed with the vets that euthanasia was the best & kindest option. I did not have the heart to take him home and prolong his suffering so he would die on me in two days. 

He was in a warm and safe place so I chose to leave him. The owner, who I was told had willfully ignored the beardie, needed to be responsible for its death and the vet fees. He needed to own (and pay for) his mistakes and not pawn it off on me or anyone else. 

I trust the vets at Wasatch Exotics and felt comfortable with their care of this beardie at the end of his life. That's how I could walk away. 

But it was still agonizing.