Thursday, January 14, 2016

Sweet Frodo

With Frodo, I wanted Dr Folland to confirm my belief that Frodo had gout caused by kidney failure before we decided what to do next. It took a thorough examination, but finally he was able to make a small poke in Frodo's foot and squeeze out a glob of pus filled uric acid. :(


Gout is a condition on its own, but with beardies, it's really more of a symptom of kidney failure. The kidneys don't process the protein in their diet and it builds up as uric acid internally instead of being expelled through pooping. 

Frodo's gout came on faster than any Beardie I have ever seen or heard of. He went from fine to mostly paralyzed in less than 3 weeks. Shockingly fast. 


Gout is a horribly painful affliction for beardies. Uric acid crystals are like little razors in their blood and every movement hurts. There is no way to reverse it because it's caused by genetics. Frodo's kidneys were born broken. 

We elected to put him out of his misery. Just like with Sami, I tucked him in his blankie in my shirt and let him go to sleep. 

He and Sami will be buried in my flower bed.