Saturday, January 30, 2016

Fecal Samples

About a year into rescuing, I got a microscope and supplies to do fecal float tests. I know-- weird, but very cool. 


Now I'm able to do quick fecal tests on my rescues who appear to have parasite overloads. Lots of experience and a sensitive nose has been the best guide for parasites though. Parasitic poop stinks! And it's runny & sticky. 

Normal poop is solid and has a distinct white urate (looks like chalk). Half of the poop below is good & solid. The other half is unformed and blob-like (due to feeding this guy baby food). 


When I get a new beardie I usually wait a week or two to conduct a fecal test. Most poop issues correct themselves with good diet, proper temperatures, and clean enclosures. I can a beardie with a parasitic overload on day 1 that has a clean fecal sample two weeks later. 

My vet doesn't treat parasites if the beardie is asymptotic since the majority  of beardies have a small amount parasites without an issue. 

Symptoms include- diarrhea, strong & foul odor, weight loss, lack of appetite, lethargy, etc. If there are coccidia & pinworm eggs, a week of dewormer is given. 

My big boy Max always has a few pinworm eggs. It doesn't bother him so I don't worry about it. 

Here's a screenshot of some digested food from Spike the 3rd's fecal sample. I found no eggs at all which leaves me wondering why he keeps bleeding when he poops. Time to chat with my vet.