Monday, January 25, 2016

Poor Dory

Dory is my female beardie with the aneurysm in her eye. When the vet attempted surgery, she came close to bleeding to death on the operating table. My vet had to use a tiny metal clamp to close the hole in her vein to stop the bleeding. Because of that reaction, there's no surgical option for Dory. 


Unfortunately, her aneurysm is growing and you can no longer see her eye. She rubs her eye against her rock hide during the day and bulges her good eye out too. She's very lethargic and spends days at a time sleeping. 

I chatted with Dr Folland today and I think we've reached the point where it's time to put Dory down. Reptiles try hard to disguise their discomfort so the fact I'm seeing her run her face so often is an indication of how much she's suffering. That and her frequent black beard and struggle when I hold her. 

:( 

I know what I need to do, but I'm still struggling with the feeling that somehow I'm quitting on her. But I know if I leave her alone, she will most likely rupture her eye and bleed to death on me within minutes (a risk that increases as her aneurysm continues to grow). I expect within the next few days I will take her in and let her go. :( 

January is ending up being a hard month for losing rescues.