Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Mater at the Vet

Mater is a recent rescue by one of my friends. He and his "girlfriend" lived together in the same tank since they were little. Both were surrendered with nasty bites on their tails. Yes, they bit each other's tails off. :( 

Mater's tail is the worst off. 


I've been coaching my friend how to do wound care for the past week, but when I saw the tails in person yesterday, I knew Mater needed immediate vet attention. 


In order for the tail to heal, Dr Folland decided to amputate about an inch to an inch & a half of it. That meant putting Mater all the way under and doing surgery. The other option was to do nothing and let the rot spread and slowly kill him. :( Luckily, there was room on the surgery schedule for Mater. 

He's in recovery now and I'll go pick him up at 4 pm. His owner will take him home tonight. He'll get pain meds for a week and stitches out in a month. I think he will feel SO much better now. There were nerve endings and tendons sticking out of his tail end! Ow! 

Here's a close up of his tail. It's gross. I apologize if it's too much. 


This is why adult beardies should NEVER EVER cohabitate!!!!!