Saturday, August 13, 2016

Turtle Timer

(Note: Humpty Dumpty was found wandering a neighborhood two months ago and had obviously been run over by a car. He has three major cracks on the bottom of his shell and the only way to get those to heal is to keep him "Dry Docked" for 3+ months. So while he is an aquatic turtle, he's in a sick tank and has to be dry. He just finished a round of antibiotics too)

I try to put Humpty Dumpty in the bath everyday.

It never works. 

So I try every other day. 

Which sorta works. 

Except I forget about him. 

A lot. 

Whoops! 

Today I set the kitchen timer for 15 minutes and let him soak. I threw in a couple pellets even though he never eats them. 

The timer went off and I turned it off. Then I forgot about Humpty Dumpty. 

About an hour later, I remembered him! 

Blast!! 

The water was only a degree or two too cold and he had eaten! And pooped! 


So I added more warm water to get it to 85 degrees and threw in a few more pellets. 

When I checked on him again, the pellets were gone. Again!! 

Woo hoo! This is the very first time I've seen him eat! 

I must not be leaving him in the water for long enough. I'll rethink my soaking now.