Monday, August 1, 2016

Today's Vet Visit - 5 Reptiles at the Vet

Today was a doozy of a day at the clinic. Between my critters and the other critters, my vet & his staff were busy!! 

Midnight the iguana and Kindle were taken in and dropped off in the morning. I waited all day for a call, but the vet was too busy to stop. 

At 3:30, I took in both chameleons and a sickly baby beardie with failing lungs. 


Akime has a neurological problem that makes her very wobbly and uncoordinated. There's no way to improve it or change it. She keeps grabbing at the wound on her arm and ripping the scab back off. Sadly, there's no skin left to grow back. It's hard to say what we'll do in the long term. 

Lotus is actually very healthy and active. I'm going to give her a few more weeks to lay her eggs before we intervene and remove them. She was SO grumpy and kept trying to bite the vet. 

Arnie was a baby beardie my rescue sister rescued. He took a turn for the worse today and his lungs failed. Dr Folland looked him over and agreed that the kindest thing to do was to euthanize him. Poor Arnie. He'll be buried in my flower garden. 


Kindle had been drooling and we were worried that her respiratory infection had come back. Instead we found a fairly large lesion in her mouth (like a canker sore). It was oozing pus and bleeding. Scorch had several dozen of them that we treated in April. Kindle will get antibiotic drops in her mouth for a week and then we'll recheck her. 

Midnight got the best report of all. His mouth and nose wounds are fairly superficial and will heal with time and daily antibiotic cream. He's thin, but otherwise healthy. 


I brought him home with me and he's been exploring. I'm hesitant to lock him up immediately since the poor thing spent his life in a large Repribreeze cage and, when he got too big for it last weekend and tore the screen, his dumb owners dumped him in a 5 gallon tank. 


We have no immediate plans for Midnight. I did rock him in my rocking chair while he took a little nap. I put a soft blankie and hammock in a Guinea pig cage for him to sleep tonight. Tomorrow I'll figure out a better set up for him. 

The great thing about today was that all 5 reptiles only cost me $322! I expected it to be WAY higher. Phew! ;)