Thursday, April 7, 2016

Poor Sick Stella

Stella was one of my first rescues & adoptions. She's been in an amazing home and doing great for years. 

The problem with reptiles is that they hide their illnesses SO well that it's hard to know if something is wrong. By the time, they appear to be ill, they are so sick that it's often too late to save them. 

Stella has the hallmarks of a sick beardie-- flat eyebrows, sunk in eyes, and a black beard. See? 


Stella has been hiding an illness. My guess is that she has stuck eggs or egg follicles that have started rotting inside her, but we won't know for sure until my vet does an x-ray tomorrow. 


I gave her a saline injection tonight to rehydrate her. Sunk in eyes can mean pain and/or dehydration. She'll go in first thing for an x-ray and we'll decide what to do next for her. If she needs surgery, it will have to wait until Monday. Hopefully we can limp her along until then. 


She's in a warm sick tank tonight. She fell asleep standing up and I laid her down. It's hard to say at this point if she'll 
make it or not. I'll check my notes, but I don't think we ever knew how old she was. 

More updates tomorrow.