Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Drake & Hermy at the Vet

I took both of my sickies in their "As Is" state (which was SO hard). Drake's eyes were sealed shut and Hermy's nose was coated with snot. 


Neither one of them had a very good check up. :( We've exhausted almost every option with Drake and nothing is working. It took a lot of prying and swabbing to get Drake's eyes open. He hates it. The whole experience was super stressful for him and really wore him out. I brought him home and put him on his hammock. He hasn't moved on his own since yesterday morning. Today I had to really work to get his eyes open, and now, 6 hours later, they are stuck shut again. Plus he's gaping and gasping all the time. 

No drops, shots, cleanings, force feedings have improved him. His blood work is unremarkable and didn't show any obvious signs of illness. My vet and I are stumped. 


Poor Drake. As I've watched him today, I've thought about what Dr Folland told me yesterday. He said the best measurements for deciding if an animal has any "Quality of Life" is whether or not they can eat, move, and drink on their own. Drake can't do any of those. I think the kind thing to do now is to let him go. 

He hurts my heart. :( 

Hermy got another antibiotic shot and is getting antibiotic mouth drops to treat two mouth ulcers. I've forced her to stay near a heat lamp to keep her temps up higher. We'll recheck her in a week. 

Because she's a protected species, I have to seek permission to move or treat her. I sat in the vet's office and wrote an email to the Division of Wildlife Resources supervisor to ask permission to euthanize her. Her decline has been slow and steady over the last 3 years. I think it's time. She has a massive urate stone in her bladder, an egg shaped mass in her belly, an antibiotic resistant respiratory infection, and is at least 70 years old. 

I love my Hermy. She's my oldest living pet and the pet I've had the longest. I'll miss her. 


Sad day at the vet.