Thursday, December 22, 2016

Curse You, Online Classifieds!!

Confessional Post: 
Online Classifieds get me into a LOT of trouble. 

Because I can't NOT look at them. Because I find sickly critters to save on them. Because sometimes the ads make me want to beat my head against the wall or say bad words. It's an addiction to me currently. I even deleted the app on my phone that takes me right to local classifieds, but that had no effect because I just open up that webpage in my Safari browser on my iPhone. 

Let me give you some examples from the past week of the struggle with online ads. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

This pic attached to a Craig's List ad I found last week. 



Yeah, I know. HORRID! No reply to any form of communication I made. The ad was only a week and a half old. NO RESPONSE! It killed me. The pic still kills me. I bet you the beardie died before he could sell it. Then I have to tell myself that I cannot save them all.

P.S. There is NO other way to contact this person. I promise. So please don't. Please just trust me.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Because I live in Utah, there's actually a different online classified page that's bigger than Craig's List. Crazy, huh? It's with a radio & TV station called KSL. So KSL Classifieds page is where I do most of my surfing-- read: suffering. 

www.ksl.com if you're curious but beware.

Like this interesting ad: "Buy Broken Tank and Get Dragon Free!"

Yes, I have a cracked tank that doesn't hold water, BUT wait! There's more-- you get a free foot long bearded dragon (not pictured). I'm waiting for pics of the beardie on this ad. No UVB, only a single bulb black light (60 to 75 watts max) hanging above one end. Not good. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Then there was this sad picture of a young beardie who obviously has the beginnings of MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease or Rubbery Bones). Look at the rubber bend in his elbow. *Classic* MBD symptom. The ad says (and this is a direct quote): "I'm trying to sell him I cant take care of him we have no money." **okay, I did actually add a period to the sentence because I'm just not a monster and I couldn't help myself. 

I emailed the owner. I usually just pretend to be an interested buyer and don't come out and say "You're an idiot and your lizard is sick." I did try that once; it did not go well. I ask basic questions: how old, how long have you had it, what lights does it have, what set up comes with it, does it have a UVB light, etc. etc..

Here's a screenshot of the last part of the text conversation I had with the owner. I'm going to assume that he/she is under 15 and has poor social texting skills because that makes me think of fewer bad names to call him/her. 



The set up, in case you wondered, is CRAP. NO substrate, one red light bulb, a stick, and a UVB light that is way too high and probably very old. So this one is a "Buy Overpriced Beardie and Get Crap Tank Free."

P.S. I've thought of at least a dozen snotty replies to that last message to me, but I'm being mature and I'm not actually replying back. Good luck, Buddy, selling a sickly & overpriced beardie. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

NOTE TO SELF: STAY OFF THE CLASSIFIEDS! 

at least for tonight. 

and maybe tomorrow too. 

and don't text back people and call them "Idiot!" even if you really want to. 

Plus, I think when I'm really tired I'm a lot more snarky and sarcastic-- as evidenced by this post. I have to try to find the humor in things sometimes otherwise I'd be like that little black gamer cat sticker that I use EVERYDAY on Facebook messenger that's beating his head against the table. Seriously. 

Rescuing reptiles is great; it's the owners I have a problem with.