Thursday, May 5, 2016

Pip & Nip, rescues 142 & 143

These two baby beardies were shipped from the breeder with leg wounds caused by other beardie bites. The stress of shipping caused the infections to go crazy. This morning the pet store owner surrendered them to me and I took them to the vet. 


Pip had infection on both legs and the tip of his tail. 


Nip had one infected leg and the tip of his tail. 


The vet took an X-ray of Pip's legs to see how bad the bones were infected. 


The X-ray showed that in order to remove all of the infection both of Pip's legs would have to be removed above the knee. There was no way that he could regain his mobility. We opted to put him down. I held him as he died. :( He'll be buried among my tulips and daffodils. 


Nip's surgery was much more straight forward. His infected leg was removed above the knee. I'll watch his tail to make sure the infection doesn't spread. 


Nip is home now and in a 10 gallon sick tank. He's already moving around and active. He devoured 4 little roaches. All great signs that he'll be okay in the long run. 

While I was at the vet, I got to see a beaver and pet his tail. SO cool!!! 


He brought his own snacks.