Friday, May 20, 2016

Fecal Testing

When I get a new beardie in, I don't test for parasites right away. A couple weeks of clean tanks and good food usually clear up any parasite infections on their own.

Lately it seems that all my guys are having stinky, runny poops so I've decided to run a test on everyone. 

I pick up the poop with the float kit and fill it full of a special liquid. Then it sits for 15 minutes with a slide cover on top. 


Then I put the slide cover, with the poopy liquid on it, onto a glass slide. 


Then I look at it under 400 X magnification with my microscope that I got on Amazon. 


Yesterday I tested Dex and have never seen so many pinworms in one test! No wonder her belly is bloated! Flame is being treated for coccidia. 


Then I have a list of treatment dates by the meds so I don't forget. 


If you're interested in doing fecal tests on your own, you can get all your supplies and instructions from