Saturday, March 5, 2016

Click & Clack, rescues 127 & 128

A friend of mine tagged me in a Facebook post linking me to an ad showing these two babies-- 


I asked for more pics and got this-- 


Terrible. These two were bought at a pet store sale for only $20 each. A teenager and her boyfriend decided to buy two of them for his younger brothers! 

But-- Surprise!!-- the mom didn't want them and the little boys stopped carrying for them after a week. Then the one stopped moving around a lot. Oh, and they had to be separated because they were hurting each other. 

I made arrangements to drive the 45 minutes one way to pick them up this morning. The little one, Click, did not look good at all. 


Click weighed in at only 28 grams and was so weak that he could barely open his eyes. :(  I put him in the bath and he drank for three minutes straight!!!


Then I gave him some baby food squash. 


When he was done drinking and eating, he weighed 32 grams. 4 grams he gained. Then I put him in a heat box to warm him up. 

Clack was obviously the stronger of the two. From his bigger body to his chubby belly, I saw no health issues with him. He weighed in at 92 grams!!! 


Clack also got a nice long drink. 


Both babies hadn't been fed in a week and obviously didn't have any water available to them. Plus they both stink so I could tell immediately that they were both on sand. 

Both babies are in their own tanks now. Click is in a 20 gallon sick tank and Clack is in a 40 gallon regular tank. They are both a lot more active and alert. 


The difference in Click is the most extreme. He looks lively now. He has a long way to go, but at least he's able to eat and drink on his own. 


Let me preach again--

If the head parent does not want a pet, don't get a pet. It will not work. The mom or dad (or preferably both) need to be in agreement. 

Kids should not be left alone to care for a bearded dragon. There MUST be parental oversight!! My 9 year old "adopted" one of my guys and even though he adores Milo, I still have to remind him to keep up with basic care. And there have been days when I'm the one refilling the water and food. I don't get mad-- *I* am the grown up. I remind my youngest to take care of Milo or I'll have to move him back downstairs. 

Pets should be a family decision and have a family agreement. Children & teens should never be left to care for a pet alone, but should always have parental oversight. Without both of these, pets get bounced or neglected. I've seen it way too often!! 

(And yes, I love Car Talk which is why I named them "Click" and "Clack." :) )