Thursday, July 2, 2015

MuShu, rescue number 90

My vet's office called today and asked if I could help with a female beardie who had a pretty severe prolapse. Her owner needed to surrender her because he didn't have the money to get her treatment.


Of course, I said "Yes." 

Dr Folland got her all fixed up and I brought her home. She'll be on pain meds for a few days and antibiotic shots for three weeks. As soon as I can, I'll do a fecal test on her to see if she has parasites that caused the prolapse. If she does, I'll treat her for that. Luckily for me, I have all the supplies & shots necessary to treat her. 


I did find out that she was on sand in her previous tank and had no UVB light. Sand collects in bearded dragon guts and eventually forms a blockage that causes a prolapse and/or death. 

SAND IS BAD!!!! I don't care what the pet stores tell you!!!!! The sand does not pass 100% out of a beardie's intestines. Over time it collects and collects particles of food. 

DO NOT USE A LOOSE SUBSTRATE!!! Paper towels, paper, newspapers, AstroTurf, tile, linoleum, fleece, Repti Carpet. You have lots of options besides sand.