Monday, April 21, 2014

Sweet Spike


Spike became another beardie angel for me today. His systemic infection returned last week with a vengeance and I didn't want him to suffer any more than he had to. 



My fabulous vet, Dr Echols, has been conducting research studies at the University of Utah on exotic animal respiration & circulation. His team had just started a new project and Spike became the first lizard they were able to study. I trust Dr Echols and know that Spike was treated with kindness & care as he was put down. His body will then be used to expand reptile knowledge that will be used in the future to treat other bearded dragons and lizards.

Spike, for all the crumminess in his early life, is leaving a mark on this world in my heart and in science. It's a bittersweet moment for me.