Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Daisy, rescue number 45

I took Daisy, a 3 year old sulcata tortoise, in last night thinking she'd be an easier than normal fix. $404 later at the vet today, I learned she is not. Daisy has a prolapsed rectum-- meaning, her intestines are now falling out of her body. :( We thought, at first, it would be simple to just push her insides back inside, but an X-ray showed something different.

Poor Daisy does NOT feel good!  
Daisy has a MASSIVE kidney stone inside of her. It's the size of a golf ball (far larger than her head) and is only removable if the vets cut open her shell and physically cut it out of her body. The surgery is very tedious and long, but it has a great success rate. Without the surgery, she will die.

Here's a picture of her prolapse.
I've been blessed to have been able to pay for most of my vet bills on my own over the last 18 months (thankfully, I have a really good husband who doesn't care that our van isn't paid off and that we didn't have thousands of dollars to go on a cruise or something), but I cannot afford a surgery bill over $1,000.  Several friends recommended creating a "GoFundMe" site so I did.

Please consider helping pay for Daisy's surgery. Thanks! Click HERE for the info!