Thursday, April 3, 2014

Daisy's Surgery

I took Daisy in this morning for her big day. Surgery started just after 12 and stopped just before 3. Dr Folland, my amazing vet -- Click HERE for more information-- only charged me for an hour of surgery. He made a small incision in her leg opening and went up laproscopically into her bladder where he started hammering the golfball sized stone into pieces. It was a very long, tedious process.


A urate stone is basically like really hard chalk. Here are some pieces they saved for me. Daisy has had urate stones her whole life and I'm going to have to do some research to figure out how to prevent them.

Once the stone was removed and the bladder was flushed out and stitched back up, Dr Folland had to repair her prolapse. He cleaned off the exposed tissue and then tucked it back inside her. He stitched up her bum to make sure it doesn't fall out again.


Reptiles have a hard time with anesthesia-- going under and coming out. This was Daisy in the vet incubator. I have pain meds for her (though NO idea how I'll actually get them in her) and antibiotic shots for the next month. She'll go back next week for a recheck (hopefully by then she's pooped) and then the stitches come out in a month.

It will take her a day or two to start feeling more perky. Then the goal is to get her to eat & drink. And we will be waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for her to poop. I think tomorrow will be sunny enough that I can get her outside in direct sunshine. Dr Folland and Dr Echols swear by sunshine therapy. Direct UVB can cure a lot of problems with reptiles. So I'll try that as much as I can. The forecast for next week is predicting temps back in the 70's and I'll stick Miss Daisy outside for several hours a day.

Thanks to all who have donated to the GoFundMe campaign. I stuck the charges on my credit card, but I'm hoping to raise enough money to pay it off. So please feel free to keep donating. Any extra money will go to help other beardies & reptiles.

Click HERE to Donate.  And please feel free to share the donation info with your reptile friends! :)