Monday, January 6, 2014

Twitch, rescue number 35

Dr Folland teases me that sickly/injured/dying/neglected beardies have a way of finding me wherever I am. :) One found me while I was vacationing in LA a couple weeks ago.

In his box on my lap on the long drive home

Twitch was, by far, the most aggressive baby I have ever had-- yes, even worse than Pickle. He would run across the tank to bite my fingers. We finally discovered why.


Even getting close with my camera made him try to attack

Twitch has SEVERE Metabolic Bone Disease. His bones are so soft that several of his ribs are broken simply from being picked up by a hand. No wonder he was terrified of being held! His bottom jaw is soft like butter and it appears that his beard bones are broken or bent too.

You can see the back side of his ribs poking out weird
He is in a new home where his momma feeds him baby food veggies because he can't chew well. He is getting massive doses of calcium and good food. It's too soon to say if his ribs will heal right, but at least I know the MBD will start to improve instead of being worse.