Friday, January 10, 2014

Gem, rescue number 36

I actually paid $20 for Gem yesterday because he needed to get out of the home he was in. His owners weren't bad, but they didn't know better and honestly expected their 8 year old to take full responsibility for Gem's care. And in this case, what the child didn't do and what the parents didn't know hurt Gem. 

At Kaitlund's house until I could get him

He was kept in a 20 gallon tank filled with crushed walnut shell (I HATE!! that stuff), with no UVB bulb, and with a weak basking light (maybe 80 degrees at best). For the past few weeks, they fed him bananas. 

Yes, bananas. Nothing else. 

He was COLD! It has taken 24 hours to get his temperature back up. He freaked me out because I brought him home and he went totally black. I've seen beardies get black before, but never like this. He was doing much better this morning. 




I put him on a warmed rice bag and that helped him a bit. Then I left him alone in my room so he could calm down while he warmed up.

Mmmm, a warm rice bag on the bottom & a heat light on top

This morning, he was back to normal colors and is doing better. He ate some greens and some wax worms. I'll take him out in a bit and see how he does with me & my kids. 

This is his normal coloring
Once I have a good idea of how his health is and how social he is, I'll place him for adoption.