Friday, January 24, 2014

Holding onto a Dying Beardie


Drako just started his "death gasping." I thought he was dead this morning, but when I went back to take pictures of his body, I found that he was breathing! I was SHOCKED!! So I gave him a saline injection and put him under warm lights.

His breathing has been slow & steady all morning. I've been checking on him every 30 minutes all morning. And he just started his death gasps.

And so I have sweet Drako, wrapped in a clean towel, on my chest. I am talking to him and telling him to let go. I am loving him and wishing him happiness in the fields in heaven. I am telling him he is safe to die. I am assuring him he is loved.

No matter how bad his life may have been, his death was peaceful and filled with love. That is why I do rescue-- to be part of beardies' "Happily Ever Afters." Even when their "Happily Ever After" starts the moment they leave their frail bodies behind.

RIP, Drako.