Friday, January 17, 2014

Iguana Rescue

I helped with an iguana rescue tonight. The poor little guy was stuck in a small, dirty cat carrier and left in an abandoned apartment. The guy who is taking him in brought him to me for a wellness exam on his way home. I was expecting a mean & nasty iguana.

Instead I got this guy. Isn't he adorable? He looks like he's smiling. I pet his head and he fell asleep.


He is severely underweight, but I saw no evidence of metabolic bone disease. Phew! He does have a toe that will need to be amputated-- it looks like it was a compound fracture and still has an open wound. He is missing all but one claw on his front feet so he'll never been able to climb like a normal iguana. Poor little dude.

How can someone just abandon him? or ANY pet for that matter? How can they sleep with themselves at night?

I'm super grateful I could help get this guy fixed up and am glad he is now in a situation where he will be loved.