Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Click Comes Back

Click was in my second set of beardies to be tested for adenovirus and I had planned to contact his owners when I got back from vacation. Randomly, they contacted me on the last day of my vacation. 

It turns out that Click has had a swollen leg and I insisted in he be seen by my vet. We wondered if perhaps Click had broken his leg somehow. 


Today I took Click in and an X ray showed a massive infection that had started to eat away at his bones. :( There was a fracture amid all the lysis (bone infection). There was only one option to save his life: amputation. 


Thanks to a cancellation, Dr Folland was able to operate today. And I got to watch! 


I watched as he did a necropsy on the leg too. There was a massive pocket of pus that would have never been removable. We don't know, though, if the 
fracture caused the infection or if the infection weakened the bone and then it broke. We'll never know at this point. Oh-- and I won't post pics of the actual surgery. :) 


It took a couple hours for Click to recover from the anesthesia. He was alert and awake when I showed up at 4 to pick him up. That's a first! 


He's back at my house now in a soft tank    He's had pain meds and will soon get his first antibiotic injection. He even ate 3 roaches for me! It's exciting to see him so alert right now. I think he'll be just fine.