Saturday, October 31, 2015

Spike's Legacy

Spike was my male German Giant repeat rescue that ended up with a systemic infection I couldn't cure. Last year, I chose to donate him to a local University reptile research project instead of simply putting him down and burying him in my backyard. 

Today my back up vet (who helps run these projects) told me that through the images taken during their research on Spike (after he'd been humanely euthanized), vets have discovered a major artery running alongside a beardie's ribs that makes the perfect injection site for a catheterizing. Its revolutionary! No vets had known it was there before the new imaging data. 

I'm so proud. And grateful. Spike was a tough rescue, but his life is leaving a legacy that will help many future bearded dragons. And that makes my heart happy.