Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fido, rescue number 59

All my tanks are full and I don't really have any more room in my house for more tanks. So I haven't been taking in other rescues.... until yesterday.

Meet Fido, an adult red iguana with aggression issues. And a malformed jaw due to MBD. And some other problems.



He was surrendered to another rescue who intended to put him down by sticking him in the freezer, but a friend of mine intervened and took him home (even though (s)he was scared to death of iguanas). I went the next day to check him out (it was the least I could do since there was NO way I could take him in!!).

Fido looked pretty bad and I offered to use some of my rescue funds to take him to see the vet. Considering his anti-social personality and his mouth issues, etc., I fully expected Dr Folland to offer to put him down humanely.

Four hours later, Dr Folland calls to tell me that this is probably the healthiest reptile I have ever brought to see him.

uh oh.

So then I panicked. What on earth do I do with an aggressive, special needs iggy that no one else wants?!? I didn't have the heart to give him back to my iguana-terrified friend. Luckily, PetCo is having their Dollar-a-Gallon tank sale. I went to the store and bought a 55 gallon tank (WAY too small, but better than the  plastic crate he was being carried in.)


I put the tank in my craft room and set it up quickly. The poor iggy had been in a box or crate for the whole day and was cold. He freaked out at first in his new environment, but calmed down after awhile.

Look at his scrawny chicken legs! He's so underweight!


I found a 75 gallon tank with a locking lid that I'll pick up tomorrow for him. AND (thankfully) I found a lady who has rescued iggys before and who would like him. Phew! He's got heat & UVB and water (it was clean until a little bit ago when he decided to play in it). He's been eating greens and iguana pellets and resting up. His tank is too small for him, but it is temporary and is far better than where he came from.

Fido still tries to show me he's boss when I walk in the room and he whips his tail at the tank. This morning while I worked on my Etsy orders in the room, he found me to be boring and went to sleep:


Iguanas should always be viewed as a wild animal. They will always stay more wild than tame and are not good reptiles for normal people. They absolutely can be kind & loving, but they can bite & whip & attack too. I'm not a big iguana fan (I do love my boy Sancho) and understand that it is hard to rehabilitate an iggy because they are slow to adapt and adjust, but I cannot and will not just throw one away because it's easier.

This guy will have a chance at a good & happy life instead of ending up in a trash can somewhere. For that, I'm grateful.