Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ozzie, rescue number 60

I found this beardie on our local classifieds. The ad said "Healthy Bearded Dragon" but the pics showed a tank filled with nasty sand, old food, parts of dehydrated meal worms, and other dirty things. I could tell right away that he was NOT healthy.

I picked him up today and quickly found that he *was* in bad shape. He has the most impacted femoral pores I have ever, ever seen.



I soaked Ozzie for 30 minutes before trying to gently (but firmly) squeeze all the plugs out of his pores. It took awhile and he hated it. I don't blame him.



I got his tank cleaned out and set back up to put him into after his "procedure."


This is how his pores look tonight:


I will have to keep working at the glands behind each pore. Normal & healthy ones are about the width of a piece of rice. His are pea-sized. Until I can clean them all out, he'll continue to have problems. So once a day, I'll soak him and massage more junk out of his pores.

I noticed tonight too that Ozzie's nostrils are swollen. I'm guessing they are filled with sand. I'll have to figure out how to get those cleaned out. And his eyes are getting more "frog-eyed" looking. Yep, sand again. I'll flush those out tomorrow too.

For now, sweet Ozzie is wrapped in a brand new blankie and tucked into my shirt where he is happily sleeping. He's had a hard enough day. I'll leave him there for now.

More updates later.