Monday, June 1, 2015

A Set Back for Ginny

Ginny's shoulder stump swelled up a lot in the last few days and today she went to the vet.


It was not good news. Her incision and shoulder were filled with infection and the tissues were dying. Dr Folland opened up the incision, scraped out the pus, removed a lot of dead & dying tissue, and trimmed back her remaining arm bone again. There was very little blood flow to the area which is a bad sign. 


Her shoulder is now an open wound so I can flush it out twice a day. If it is clear and healthy in two weeks during her recheck, we'll stitch the opening closed. If not, .... I'm not sure she'll have much chance of survival at that point. 


Between the antibiotic shots and the wound care, Ginny's shoulder has a good chance of healing. I just hope she has enough strength to fight this and that the infection hasn't become systemic (in her blood stream and impossible to treat). 


After the procedure, Ginny was done! I wrapped her up in the blankie I brought her in and tucked her into my shirt.