Monday, February 2, 2015

Ryuu, rescue number 80

I took in Ryuu, a 5 year old beardie, today with the worst prolapse I've ever seen. It has been out for at least 24 hours and I wasn't sure if he could be saved. Drove 45 mins one way to pick him up and rush him to my vet. 


The prolapse tissue was still alive so the vet pushed it back in & put in 2 stitches on the vent to keep it in. He'll be in antibiotics for the next three weeks. 


The next step is to see if he eats & drinks on his own. Then I will do a fecal test on him to test for parasites and treat him for that. 


He was on sand so he could have an impaction which will cause him to prolapse again. If he does prolapse, then we'll do an x-ray to see what's up. 


I have him 5 mL of Pedialyte and his first antibiotic shot and put him in his sick tank. Now we just wait and see. At least he's over the worst.