Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Yesterday

It's been a rough couple of weeks- lots of sickly reptiles, lots of extra beardies I was babysitting before Christmas, a chronically ill little boy who can't go to school, fighting my own continual sickness, the holidays, etc. Thankfully, I was able to close my Etsy shop over the Christmas & New Year's holidays to have one less thing to do, but no Etsy meant no money coming in for rescue. 

Yesterday started off with me spending almost half of my saved rescue money on equipment that I have been given previously but gave away because I didn't think I'd use them. That was painful. I started wishing I hadn't been quite so generous and kept more of my equipment and financial resources. Buddy the snake was almost completely unresponsive and I noticed one of his eyes was starting to cave in, and so I scheduled a vet follow up appointment for him, knowing it would use up most of my dwindling funds. Blast! Then I ended up scheduling surgery next week for my youngest and tried to catch up on everything I didn't do last week when I was sickly.  It was a long, long day. 

After dinner, I pulled Milo out of his tank for snuggle time when I noticed he was gasping again-- just like he had when he came to me half dead last fall. His respiratory infection is back only after a month of being healthy. Blast! It was all too much. After Milo's last vet visit, the one remaining treatment option for his perpetual respiratory illness was a $145 blood test. (Luckily, Milo improved on his own and I didn't need the test then).  

Blast! Not enough money, not enough time, too much sickness, and not enough energy. I was feeling pretty low last night when I posted two updates on my blog about Buddy & Milo. 

Then, much to my speechless surprise and tearful gratitude, a blog reader donated enough money to me for Milo's blood test. 

Thank you! Thank you! I went to bed with a much lighter & happier heart. 

This morning, I found Milo zipping around his tank and discovered Buddy has started shedding and his good eye looks much, much better. They are both still sick, but not nearly as bad as I feared. 

Many thanks & much love to all of you who support my rescue and root for all the critters in my zoo. Your generosity and well wishes make my job so much easier. :) 

Because of my youngest's surgery and recovery this month, I have to scale back my rescue somewhat. My Etsy shop is open and, knowing me, I will still have half-dead reptiles finding their way to me anyways. 

And there's always still the ongoing work of getting Ramses, my juvenile iguana, to like me. We've started to call him "Evilen Froggen" from the Muppets. ;) He's adorable-- even if he hates my guts. Here's a pic of his morning stink eye for me: