Thursday, January 29, 2015

Ramses & the Patient Husband

For the last four months, I have worked with Ramses, my juvenile iguana. The harder I tried, the more he hated me. The more I touched him, the more I bled. 


My hands and arms were always scratched up and raw from his claws. But I kept trying to get him used to me. 

On Sunday, Ramses jerked around and got his mouth on me. Within seconds, he ripped open the back of my thumb. 


I needed stitches but was able to pull my thumb closed with Steri-strips. As I was dripping blood and tears on my bathroom counter, my patient hubby came to a conclusion--

It was time to let someone else try with Ramses. 

My husband has put up with a tank of a thousand roaches in my garage and tanks in our bedroom and frozen rats in our freezer and vet bills on our credit card. He has been SO patient! He hasn't often put his foot down, but he did with Ramses. 

On Monday, I gave Ramses to a friend of mine who loves iguanas. I hadn't even driven all the way home before she was saying how sweet Ramses is. 


Ramses? Sweet? 

Wow! 

I 'm grateful for a husband who intervened in my stubborn determination to not "quit" on Ramses even though I was failing at it. 

Sometimes quitting is actually a blessing. It's been a relief to not have an iguana bleeding battle every day! My thumb is healing and Ramses is thriving with his new owner. 


With the exception of Sancho, who is a sweetheart, I will now go back to my "No Iguanas" policy in rescue.