Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Good News & the Bad News on Milo

I took Milo to the vet this morning. He's been blowing snot bubbles and making clicking noises when he breathes since Monday and because that is what almost killed him last fall,  I wasn't willing to wait until he got sicker to have him seen. My biggest fear was that Dr Folland would want to do a comprehensive blood test on him (which was the final suggestion at Milo's last appointment). I didn't have enough money in my rescue account for a blood test, but thanks to the amazing generosity of one of my blog readers, I was given the money. Yay! (Still warms my heart!!)

The good news is that Milo did not need a blood test. The bad news is that he has a congenital defect in his sinus & nostril that causes snot to form, drip, and plug up the right side of his face. :( There's nothing that can be done to correct it. He will always have an issue with congestion and snot bubbles and that will always make him susceptible to upper respiratory infections.

So the good news is that Milo isn't sick. The bad news is that he is now a "special needs" beardie.

His nostril on this side is malformed & almost flat against his head
Dr Folland dug around in his supplies area and found a neonatal feeding tube that he trimmed down for me to use on Milo. Depending on the severity of Milo's snot, I'll use the tube to flush out his nose & sinus with saline to lessen the chances for infection (at least a couple times a week). It's possible that he will grow to a larger size now that he is in a good situation with proper heat, nutrition, and UVB, but it's more likely that he'll be small and "pocket size" for his whole life.

For now, Milo is going to stay here with me. I suppose if I could find the right kind of home for him, I will place him for adoption. He is a sweet boy who adores to be snuggled & held. He LOVES basking in my sunny window (he's there right now). I am happy to have him here.

Thanks again to all my readers for your kindness, prayers, and support for my rescue & for Milo. You make me proud!!