Thursday, November 7, 2013

Nubs gets Food today

Three days ago, I didn't think we'd make it to today. But we did! This morning I gave Nubs 1 mL of LaFeber's Critical Care Omnivore formula-- a vet only liquid diet for the most severely malnourished and sick animals that vets treat. I gave him some of this on Saturday but he was so malnourished that the nutrients shocked his system and his kidneys immediately started to fail. So we backed way, way off and did the saline injections for three days. 


He's supposed to have 5 mL (or 1 teaspoon) of Critical Care every day, but that seems like it would flood his system again. This morning around 9 am I gave him 1 mL. He seemed to handle it fine.



This afternoon, I took him outside to give him another 1 mL while getting some sunshine. But, sadly, at the last minute, a cloud covered the sun so we didn't stay out there for very long.

He does NOT like to be force fed and does a really good job of cracking my syringes by biting them so hard. He bit my thumb on Saturday and it just barely started to heal. Ouch! That's one of the worst beardie bites I've ever gotten.


The biggest change I've noticed in Nubs is he's far more alert than normal. His eyes track me as I walk into my room. He doesn't move his head a lot, but he does follow things. For 4 days, he was in a near-death stupor and had no response to anything. So this is good, good news.


Here's a short video of him looking around him outside. He doesn't move much or fast, but he MOVES! and that, my friends, is a MIRACLE!!