Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Substrates-- what I use and why I recommend it

There is a lot of online info about what substrate to put in your beardie tank and there are quite a few options: calcium based sand, crushed walnut shells, paper towels, newspapers, slate, etc. At the beginning of the year, my reptile vet (Dr Scott Echols) told me to get single strand astroturf from Home Depot to use. BEST decision I ever made-- too bad he didn't tell me two weeks before when I spent over $40 buying sand for beardie tanks....


Freshly changed astroturf-- look how clean!
So here's what I do. I keep only 40 gallon tanks (36 inches long by 18 inches wide) and I have (or try to) TWO pieces of astroturf per tank. When the beardies poop, I grab a tissue, pick up the poop, and flush it. After a week, I take my stack of clean astroturf mats and swap out the old ones for the new ones. The new ones go outside where I sun-bleach them and hose them down. Once they drip dry (and get a second sun bleaching), I roll them up and stick them in my supplies box until next time.


My dirty pieces before I hose them down
When I adopt out a beardie with a tank, I always send two pieces of astroturf. My Home Depot sells two sizes of astroturf: 12 ft and 6 ft. I stick with the 6 ft. There are two choices in the 6 ft: one with a black, more flexible back and one with a white, hard back. I always buy the black back. If you want to be creative you can buy green astroturf, blue astroturf, or tan astroturf. I always stick with green (I'm boring that way).




On Monday I bought 3 pieces of 18 inch astroturf which will cut down to 6 pieces to use. It cost me $11.80 total with tax or just under $2 per tank. You can't buy any other substrate that cheaply!

I even use it in my tortoise tanks to make clean up easier. My next astroturf purchase will be a 48 inch piece that I cut into 4 pieces to use in my two 4 ft long tortoise tanks.