Monday, October 28, 2013

Nigel's Surgery

My first rescue, Nigel, came to me with a massive arm infection and, over the past year, we've tried our best to get it healthy again. Multiple surgeries, multiple courses of antibiotics.

It didn't work. The infection came back with a vengeance.

Today, Kaitlund, Nigel's owner, along with my amazing vet, Dr Folland, decided the best course of action at this point was to remove Nigel's arm.

So his arm was amputated in surgery today.

It makes me very sad, though I am super hopeful he'll have a better quality of life now.


Pain meds for one week, vet recheck in a week, antibiotics for two weeks, stitches out in 6 weeks. He'll stay with me for now in his sick tank-- for at least the first 24 hours, a 20 gln tank with a heating pad. Once he gets a bit more active, I'll move him back into a regular tank.

Now we just wait and see.