Monday, November 16, 2015

Occupational Hazards

I goofed today. I made a mistake and let my guard down while holding an unknown 6 month old Savannah monitor. I let my guard down by looking away from it for a second. 


In that second I looked away, the savvy chomped down on my finger. 

And would not let go for several minutes. 

My vet finally took a pair of metal forceps and forced the monitor's mouth open. I yanked my finger out and it immediately started bleeding. 

 I'll admit it-- I totally cried. It hurt so bad! 


The right side of the finger is where the teeth went the deepest. The bite must have hit one of the tendons in my finger because I have pain radiating down the tendon into my wrist. 

A painful reminder to never look away when you're holding a new reptile. My over-confidence was my undoing. 

Lesson learned. 

And no, it was not Gary Dean. This monitor was 4 times as big.