Friday, March 6, 2015

Newt, rescue number 83

Today-- even though I said over & over again that I didn't want to ever rescue another chameleon-- I rescued a chameleon.

Yep, I know.

But how could I resist this little guy?



This is Newt. He is a 5-ish month old male veiled chameleon with SEVERE Metabolic Bone Disease. Severe.



Because of rescuing other reptiles with MBD, I have all the supplies I need to treat his MBD: calcium injections, vet-grade calcium syrup, liquid calcium, three types of calcium powder, and an awesome brand-new, never used UVB light.



And awesome weather this weekend for outside time. Sunlight is the BEST MBD treatment ever.



So for now, I'll give him Critical Care every day and extra calcium. He's in a smaller cage to keep him contained so he won't fall or hurt himself. And this weekend will be good weather so I'll take him outside for a half hour every day.

Baby steps forward. I expect him to make a complete recovery.