Monday, December 22, 2014

Sweet Francis

I helped a friend pay for this sickly rescued sulcata tortoise to see my awesome vet, Dr Folland. Francis was stuck in a box and left to die. But he didn't die and so the lady dumped him off at a rescue and my friend ended up with him. 


She did everything she could to save him- even though the vet said he was severely anemic and malnourished. Daily tube feelings and soaks and lots of love of love. 


Sadly, for sweet Francis, it was too late. My friend woke up this morning to find he had died. :(  She and I have rescued and list a lot of reptiles this year that were thrown away to die. We've also both lost some of our own beloved pets. 

Rescue is a heartbreaking and crappy business. She & I often tell each other how much we want to quit. And sometimes for a few days or weeks, we do. But there's always a reptile that brings us back into rescuing. After so many loses, it's hard to walk away and let another one suffer. Rescuing is not for the faint of heart. 

Rest in Peace, sweet Francis. You will be missed.