Monday, September 23, 2013

Buddies

Normally, tortoises are solitary reptiles and spend all their days alone. I didn't expect that any of my tortoises would want anything to do with the other, but I was wrong.

Master Oogway, the Russian, has taken a liking to Hermy, the desert. I let them free range the kitchen & laundry room yesterday while I was gone and came home to find them like this:


The corner of the laundry room by the washing machine has ALWAYS been Hermy's corner. That's where she sleeps when she's not hibernating. I guess yesterday Hermy must have put herself to be and Oogway followed her.

He loves to watch her when she wakes up. He follows her around and shares the sunlight on the kitchen floor with her. He'll even try her food-- to see if it tastes better than his own.


There's only two sad things:

1- Hermy can got outside and roam, but Oogway is too small. He can get through our fence so I can't let him go out by himself.

2- Hermy will be hibernating in about a month and then he'll be lonely for her. Perhaps by then, Lil Foot will be healthier and they can be buddies. . . . hmmm, maybe Lil Foot would be healthier if I let him hang out in the house with Oogway during the day. I'll ponder on that one. :)